In light of events that occurred last week, certain facts have been discovered. It is speculated that radical Yemeni cleric Anwar al-Awlaki who may have had direct contact with attempted suicide-bomber 23-year-old Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab may also have been in contact with the US army major, Nidal Malik Hasan, who killed 13 people last year at Fort Hood.
This only adds to the increasing fear that Yemen has become another al-Qaeda corrupt area, which in effect caused US and the U.K to close their Yemen embassies in an effort to protect themselves from further attempted harm.
It has been said that several 100 members of the terrorist group identifying themselves as those responsible for the bombing attempt are stationed in Yemen so the continued presence of the Embassy would endanger Embassy officials’ lives. This comes after the organization called the al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula told Muslims last week to take up arms and “[kill] every crusader who works at their embassies or other places”. The American embassy shut down Sunday “in response to ongoing threats by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula to attack American interests in Yemen”, which they stated on their website. They also advised ”US citizens in Yemen to be aware of security”.
The US have indicated their desire to support the Yemeni government in the fight against al-Qaeda, militarily and financially. As such, they will be doubling last year’s financial contribution of $67 million (£41m) given to Yemen for training and support in order to better enable them to eliminate terrorism.
As much as we hope terrorism to be eliminated, we hope that the country and citizens of Yemen do not become something resembling the ruins of Iraq.